Section Navigation Bar

    Application for an explosives storage licence

    Use this form to apply for a storage licence under the Explosives Regulations 2014.

    This form consists of 6 pages and will take approximately 20 minutes to complete. Fields marked with a * are mandatory and require completion.

    If you are intending to supply fireworks outside the normal permitted periods e.g. New Year, Chinese New Year, October 15 - November 10 and Diwali, you will need to make a seperate application to your local licensing authority for a licence to comply with the Fireworks Regulations 2004.
    Licences for fireworks and other explosives that do not require an explosive certificate may be granted for up to 5 years as the licensing authority determines.

    You should only use this form if you want to store less than 2000kg of explosives.
    If you want to store more than 2000kg of explosives you should apply to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for a licence. Further information on licensing can be found on:
    HSE - applying for a licence(external website).


    Before you start

    Please ensure you have:

  1. a plan to a scale sufficient to show the location of the site in relation to its surroundings (i.e. named or numbered roads, hamlets, villages or geographical features). Where the site does not have a postal address this should normally be a minimum scale of 1:25000
  2. if the site is subject to separation distances you will also need to provide an Ordnance Survey Site plan (or similar) map showing the location of the store and any distances to any neighbouring buildings:
  3. The plan should also show any areas where you intend to process or manufacture explosives where a licence for those activities is not required under regulation 6 of ER2014
  4. The scale will depend on the separation distance. For a distance of up to 200 metres, a 1:1250 would normally be required while greater distance would require 1:2500 or even a Super Plan
  5. Where this plan clearly identifies the location of the site in relation to its surroundings it can be substituted fir the plan referred to above
  6. if you intend to store or display more than 12.5kg of fireworks on a shop floor, the licensing authority will require you submit a floor plan of the sales area
  7. if you intend to store, process or manufacture explosives within a building that is also used for other purposes you should include a floor plan showing the places within the building where you intend storing, processing or manufacturing the explosives
  8. a valid email address to receive confirmation of payment
  9. your debit or credit card details.

    Please note: This form should not be used for an application for a licence to store the explosives listed below:

  11. relevant explosives (eg blasting explosives or black powder)
  12. ammunition the acquisition of which is regulated or prohibited by virtue of the Firearms Acts 1968 to 1997
  13. smokeless powder or percussion caps
  14. explosives stored by a person who is registered as a firearms dealer under section 33 of the Firearms Act 1968

  15. If you want to store the explosives above, you should use form ER2:
    ER" form (external site)

    eForms by AchieveForms